Featured photo: Ice carving at Lake Chelan Winterfest in central Washington (photo by Kristen J. Cox; courtesy Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce)
Break that cabin fever with some fun in the snow at the Lake Chelan Winterfest this weekend and next in central Washington.
Watch sculptors shape 45,000 pounds of ice into works of art. Ride horse-drawn carriages, chill in the Polar Bear Splash, and warm up again with a beach bonfire and fireworks show.
Tantalize your taste buds at wine, ale, cider, and soup tastings. Vote for the best Bloody Mary in Lake Chelan during the Bloody Mary Battle.
Hear live music.
Stretch yourself with snowga, which combines snowshoeing and yoga.
Buy a lantern, make a wish, and release it in the lake on the last night of the festival.
And search for Tsilly throughout the weekend. What’s a Tsilly? It’s Lake Chelan’s version of the Loch Ness Monster.
Friday, January 13
- 3-7 p.m. – Horse carriage rides and kids’ activities
- 3-10 p.m. – Ice Bar
- 5-9 p.m. – Wine Walk
- 5-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop, live music, and live ice carving
- 6-8 p.m. – Soupfest
Saturday, January 14
- 11 a.m.-6 p.m. – Live ice carving
- noon-4 p.m. – VIP Wine Walk
- noon-10 p.m. – Ice Bar
- noon-6 p.m. – Horse carriage rides, kids’ activities, and wine walk
- noon-8 p.m. – Bottle Shop
- 3-10 p.m. – Live music
- 6 p.m. – Grand Procession
- 6:30 p.m. – Polar Bear Splash and Beach Bonfire
- 6:45 p.m. – Fireworks
Sunday, January 15
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Bubble Bar Sparkling Wine Brunch
- 11:30 a.m. – Snowga
Friday, January 20
- 5-8 p.m. – Apple Bin Train rides
- 5-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop and Alefest
Saturday, January 21
- noon – Snowga
- 2-3 p.m. – VIP Alefest and Recess Monkey Kid’s Concert, presented by Numerica Performing Arts Center
- 2-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop
- 3-6 p.m. – Apple Bin Train rides
- 3-10 p.m. – Alefest
- 6:00 p.m. – Wish lanterns
- 6:30 p.m. – Ice Tower lighting
Sunday, January 22
- 10 a.m. – Snowdog Snowshoe Run/Walk (5K and 10K)
- 10 a.m.-noon – Battle of the Bloody Mary
Winterfest buttons are $5 each, which allow entry into the event. Some activities, such as the Wine Walk and tastings, are extra (buy buttons and tickets). For more details on activities, visit the Lake Chelan Winterfest website.
Lake Chelan is a four-hour drive from Seattle and 6.5 hours from Portland.