Featured photo: Ice carving at Lake Chelan Winterfest in central Washington (photo by Kristen J. Cox; courtesy Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce)
Break that cabin fever with some fun in the snow at the Lake Chelan Winterfest this weekend and next in central Washington.
Watch sculptors shape 45,000 pounds of ice into works of art. Ride horse-drawn carriages, chill in the Polar Bear Splash, and warm up again with a beach bonfire and fireworks show.
Tantalize your taste buds at wine, ale, cider, and soup tastings. Vote for the best Bloody Mary in Lake Chelan during the Bloody Mary Battle.
Hear live music.
Stretch yourself with snowga, which combines snowshoeing and yoga.
And search for Tsilly throughout each weekend. What’s a Tsilly? It’s Lake Chelan’s version of the Loch Ness Monster.
Activities the weekend of January 12-14 are primarily in downtown Chelan.
Friday, January 12
- 3-7 p.m. – Horse carriage rides and kids’ activities
- 3-10 p.m. – Ice Bar
- 5-9 p.m. – Wine Tasting Tent
- 5-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop, live music, and live ice carving
- 6-8 p.m. – Soupfest
Saturday, January 13
- 11 a.m.-6 p.m. – Live ice carving
- noon-10 p.m. – Ice Bar
- noon-6 p.m. – Horse carriage rides, kids’ activities, Wine Tasting Tent, and Wine Walk
- noon-8 p.m. – Bottle Shop
- 3-10 p.m. – Live music
- 6 p.m. – Grand Procession, Snowga at Lake Chelan Municipal Golf Course
- 6:30 p.m. – Polar Bear Splash and Beach Bonfire
- 6:45 p.m. – Fireworks
Sunday, January 14
- 10 a.m. – Skydive Chelan Jump
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Bubble Bar Sparkling Wine Brunch at Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce Building
Activities the weekend of January 19-21 are primarily in downtown Manson.
Friday, January 19
- 5-8 p.m. – Apple Bin Train rides
- 5-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop and Lake Chelan Brewers and Distillers Night
- 7:30-10 p.m. – Live music
Saturday, January 20
- 10:30 a.m. – Snowga at Echo Ridge
- 2-3 p.m. – VIP Alefest and Alex Zerbe-PAC show, presented by Numerica Performing Arts Center
- 2-10 p.m. – Bottle Shop
- 3-3:45 p.m. – Live music
- 3-6 p.m. – Apple Bin Train rides
- 3-10 p.m. – Alefest
- 6:30 p.m. – Ice Tower lighting
- 8-10 p.m. – Live music
Sunday, January 21
- 10 a.m.-noon – Battle of the Bloody Mary
Winterfest buttons are $5 each, which allow entry into the event. Admissions to the Wine Walk, Alefest, Bubble Bar, and Bloody Mary Battle cost extra and require separate tickets (buy buttons and tickets).
Dress warm and in layers, because most activities are outside.
For more details on activities, visit the Lake Chelan Winterfest website.
Want to help at Winterfest? Learn more about volunteering and sign up.
Lake Chelan is a four-hour drive from Seattle and 6.5 hours from Portland.
Ice Bar at Lake Chelan Winterfest (photo by Kristen J. Cox; courtesy Lake Chelan Chamber of Commerce)