Featured image by Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), Portland
Harry Houdini probably is the most talented escape artist of all time. Born Ehrich Weisz in Budapest, he adopted his Houdini stage name in his teens and was perfecting his craft in the circus during his twenties. He became famous for escaping from handcuffs and jails, and wardens even gave him certificates for his feats.
Now, the over-21 crowd can step behind Houdini’s curtain and experience the mystery and science of his world at “OMSI After Dark: Now You See It”, on Wednesday, January 31, 6-10 p.m. at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland.
Enjoy these presentations:
- Mathis: The Charming Cardist, a Portland magician and illusionist specializing in cards, coins, and close-up effects
- Liquid Laser Show with Portland artist Kevin Noonan, which explores the psychedelic world of light, lasers and liquid
And here’s more you can do:
- Shoot water rockets.
- Make chemical concoctions.
- Sip wine while learning about robots, tornadoes, and fossils.
- Chat with a brewer about the science behind beer.
- Sample products from local artisans.
- Explore OMSI’s exhibits without the kids.
OMSI After Dark is a series of events and activities designed for adults. Admission is $7.50 for OMSI members, $15 non-members, and free for OMSI After Dark pass holders. You must be 21 or older to attend, and ID is required for entry. These events often sell out, so if you’re going, buy tickets online now!
OMSI is located at 1945 SE Water Avenue (view directions). Parking costs $5, and the closest MAX light rail stop is a 10-minute walk away (view MAX routes and schedules). For more information about special events at OMSI and the museum, visit OMSI’s website or call (503) 797-4000.