Featured image: A walrus encounter at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington (photo by Cheryl Landes)
Friday-Saturday, February 10-11, the animals at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma are getting special nutrient-rich heart-shaped treats and toys in celebration of Valentine’s Day. You’re invited to watch and share the love. Here’s the schedule, followed by the locations in parentheses.
- 11 a.m.—Sharks (Aquarium, Saturday only), lagoon fish (Aquarium, Sunday only)
- 11:30 a.m.—Polar bears (Arctic Tundra)
- noon—Surprise animal encounter (Wild Wonders Outdoor Theater)
- 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.—Primates, tapirs, and porcupines (Asian Forest Sanctuary, times vary each day)
- 12:30 p.m.—Tigers (Asian Forest Sanctuary), walruses (Rocky Shores)
- 1:00 p.m.—Elephants (Elephant Barn)
- 1:30 p.m.—Siesta the sloth (outside the lower North Pacific Aquarium)
- 2:00 p.m.—Red wolves (Red Wolf Woods), octopus (North Pacific Aquarium, Saturday only)
These special viewings are included with zoo admission: $17.95 ages 13-64, $16.95 ages 65 and above, $13.95 ages 15-12, $9.95 ages 3-4, and free for children 2 years and younger. Get a $2 discount on each ticket when you buy online.
The zoo’s hours are 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Monday.
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is located at 5400 N Pearl Street, at the northern tip of Point Defiance Park (get directions). Parking is free.