Come to the State Fair Park in Yakima, Washington, on July 4 to celebrate Independence Day with a variety of fabulous, fun family-oriented activities.
Pack a picnic for your family and friends or buy food from the vendors at the fairgrounds. Pick a favorite spot on the lawn to relax and watch the fireworks after the sun sets. The show starts at 10 p.m.
There’s more than food and fireworks at this celebration. Kids can play old-fashioned games like sack races and jump rope. They can complete in watermelon eating and watermelon seed spiting contests. And they can go on the carnival rides. There are also games for the adults, and the kids at heart can find some rides to enjoy.
Here’s the complete schedule.
- noon-9 p.m.—Inflatable water slide and free-shoot basketball on multiple courts
- noon-11 p.m.—Food vendors open
- noon-10 p.m.—Beer garden open for ages 21 and older
- 2-6 p.m.—An aerial truck from the Yakima Fire Department shoots water into a play area.
- 3:45 p.m.—Flyover by the Washington Army National Guard UH-60 Blackhawks
- 9:55 p.m.—National Anthem performed
- 10 p.m.—Fireworks show with patriotic tunes playing in the background
Admission and parking are free. Free shuttles sponsored by Yakima Valley Transit and Union Gap Transit will run throughout the day.
Yakima Valley Transit’s shuttle service runs from these park and ride locations:
- Gateway Center on Fair Avenue near Target
- Eisenhower High School at Tieton Drive and 40th Avenue
- Wide Hollow School on 72nd Avenue
The Yakima Valley Transit shuttle service runs continuously from all lots from 3:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Additional buses are on duty after the fireworks to get everyone home quickly.
Union Gap Transit’s shuttle service runs from the City Hall Annex, across the street from the Union Gap City Hall, to State Fair Park from 3:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. The shuttle runs every 15 to 20 minutes.
The State Fair Park is located at 1301 South Fair Avenue in Yakima. For more information about the 4th of July Celebration, visit statefairpark.org.