For many, Memorial Day is considered the unofficial start to summer. But to many others, it’s a day of remembrance for their family and friends who sacrificed their lives for their country.
Taps Across America has remembered them since 2000, and the tradition continues this year. At 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day, thousands of people across the U.S. play Taps for one minute to honor the military men and women who died while serving.
Anyone who plays an instrument or wants to learn can get involved. To participate:
- Register at Taps Across America.
- Download the music for Taps, if you don’t have it.
- Find a good location for your performance.
- Encourage family, friends, and neighbors to observe a moment of silence at 3-3:01 p.m. local time on Memorial Day.
- Sound Taps at 3-3:01 p.m. local time on Memorial Day. If you feel comfortable recording your performance, share the video on the Taps Across America Facebook page.
For more information, visit tapsacrossamerica.org.