Featured image: A horse-drawn wagon gives rides to visitors at a previous North Adams Winterfest. (photo credit: Casey Alberts Photography, via Berkshire Family Focus)
The smallest city in Massachusetts, tucked in the northwestern corner of the Commonwealth, knows how to throw a free winter party. Yes, that’s right—all events at the North Adams Winterfest Saturday-Sunday, February 17-18, are free!
Here’s the full schedule.
Saturday, February 17, in downtown North Adams
- 10 a.m.–4 p.m.—Fun in the snow at Colegrove Park, 24 Church Street; ice sculpting at Main, Eagle, and Holden Streets
- 10 a.m.–3 p.m.—Winter farmer and artisan market at the old Sleepy’s mattress store, 66 Main Street
- 10 a.m.–noon—Cool Runnings, a free movie at the North Adams Public Library, 74 Church Street; hot cocoa, cookies, and face painting at the MountainOne Bank lobby, 93 Main Street
- Noon–2 p.m.—Chowder competition, 85 Main Street; community campfire at Holden and Main
- 1–3 p.m.—Horse-drawn wagon rides (line starts in front of MountainOne Bank, 93 Main Street)
- 2–4 p.m.—Ice skating with free skate rentals at the Peter W. Foote Vietnam Veterans Memorial Skating Rink, 1267 Church Street
Sunday, February 18, at Windsor Lake, 200 Windsor Lake (corner of Kemp and Bradley)
- 10 a.m.—Spend the day at the Windsor Lake. Sled and tube the hills. Build snow creatures. Toss snowballs. Snowshoe, hike, or cross-country ski the trails around lake.
- 2-4 p.m.—Campfire and hot cocoa at the Historic Valley Campground beach
For more information, call (413) 664-6180 or visit the events page at the City of North Adams website.
North Adams is 131 miles west of Boston, a 3.5-hour drive.