Photos by Cheryl Landes
Millinocket is in Maine’s North Woods and a great place to see moose in their natural habitat. The pictures in today’s armchair photo tour are from one of my weekend trips to Millinocket to go hiking at Baxter State Park, 17 miles north of town. I went on a tour with Moose Woods Guide Service, an early evening exploration along the Golden Road west of town.
The Golden Road has some beautiful panoramas of the Penobscot River and Mt. Katahdin in Baxter State Park.
If you’d like to go on a guided moose watching tour in Maine, there are several outfitters who offer tours:
- Moose Woods Guide Service in Millinocket
- New England Outdoor Center in Millinocket
- Big Moose Cabins & Campground in Millinocket Lake
- Northwoods Outfitters in Greenville
- The Cozy Moose in Greenville
- Young’s Guide Service in Greenville
- Twin Maple Tours in Bradford
- Northeast Whitewater in Shirley Mills
- North Country Rivers in Bingham
If you prefer exploring on your own, here are some tips.
Millinocket is 200 miles north of Portland, Maine, and 310 miles north of Boston.