Photos by Cheryl Landes
The Harris Covered Bridge was named for George Harris, an early settler in the Philomath area. The 75-foot bridge crosses Marys River and was built by H. W. Fiedler to replace a covered bridge in the same location.
The bridge has a Howe truss design with rounded portals and narrow windows below the roofline to light the interior and longitudinal deck planks. The exterior has siding in the board and batten style with a shingled roof.
Benton County records indicate that the bridge was built in 1936, but some locals claim it might have been built in 1929.
The bridge’s address is 22900-22922 Harris Road in Philomath, but the nearest town is Wren. Wren is 20 miles northwest of Corvallis on the way to the Oregon Coast.
Take these armchair photo tours of more covered bridges in Oregon:
Cottage Grove area
One thought on “Armchair photo tours: The Harris Covered Bridge near Philomath, Oregon”