Fort Hoskins Historical Park near Philomath, Oregon
Photos by Cheryl Landes
Fort Hoskins was built by the U.S. Army in 1856 to maintain peace between the settlers and the Native Americans and to quell anti-Union Southern sympathizers. The military fort overlooked the Luckiamute River Valley, where 200 to 300 troops served. Treaty discussions, formation of the reservation, and federal Indian policies were also discussed here.
The fort was decommissioned in 1865 after the Civil War ended. The buildings were demolished and sold. In 1992, Benton County acquired the property and turned it into a county park.
The valley is the home of the Luckiamute Band of the Kalapuya Tribe.
A tree in the orchard at Fort Hoskins Historical Park near Philomath, Oregon
A sixth-tenths-mile self-guided interpretive loop trail has markers that tell the story of the fort. Learn about the early inhabitants of the valley and their lives during and after the Civil War. Another 1.2-mile recreational trail is near the self-guided loop.
The only original building standing at the 130-acre park is the Commander’s House. It was moved to Pedee in 1869 but moved back to Fort Hoskins in November 2012. Restoration is underway.
The Commander’s House at Fort Hoskins Historical Park near Philomath, Oregon
Fort Hoskins Historical Park is located 16 miles northwest of Corvallis, near Philomath, Oregon. Hours are dawn to dusk daily. For more information, go to the park’s webpage.
Learn more about the history of the fort in an eBook published by the Alliance for Recreation and Natural Areas. Click the link to the PDF to access the eBook.
This video provides a self-guided tour through the park.